Over the years there has been a long argument whether treadmill is better for weight loss or the exercise bike. Well the truth is there is no obvious winner. It depends on what you want and what your body needs. Let us first understand about both these equipment, how they work, pros, cons etc.
Treadmill is an effective tool for running, walking, incline running and other activities. The variation in speed with inclination makes it effective tool for weight loss. Nowadays treadmills are coming up with big touch console with much modernized features like virtual mode. Factors which affect the calorie burn in a treadmill are your weight, duration of workout, speed variation and inclination adjustment.
- Versatility - You can run, walk and do an uphill sprint on a treadmill. You can choose various pre-set programs for effective workout.
- Natural movement- Now days in the market you will find modern treadmill which are designed to replicate the natural movement of an individual like walking, running and sprinting.
- Work output- Pushing your body weight back and forth requires a lot of effort which eventually results in high calories burn count. The Pre-set programs offers to increase the calorie burn count which will eventually result in weight loss.
- Safety – Most of the modern treadmill comes with automatic shut off feature.
- Boredom – New treadmill comes with big TV console in which you can watch your favorite movies or shows while working out. You can also connect your gadget to the console through in built blue-tooth feature and listen to your favorite music while burning the calories.
- Joints- The most important concern for an individual running on treadmill is the amount of stress which the joints, knees and back spine goes through. Some treadmills have shock absorption system but still the stress is very significant.
- Safety – High intensity workout which include running on high speed, inclined running are often not as safe as on thinks especially if you’re a beginner.
- Posture- Few researches and studies have shown that natural posture of an individual is changed while running on a treadmill due to muscle imbalance.
Exercise bike or stationary bike have been in the market less than treadmills but their popularity has only grown over the years. Exercise bikes are no different to outdoor bikes and most people like using these stationary bike which can be placed at their home without taking much space Factors which affect the calorie burn in an exercise bike are your weight, duration of workout, speed variation and resistance adjustment.
- Non-impact conditioning- Exercise bike provide low and no impact workout without putting pressure on spine. A proper positioned exercise bike supports your weight so that your knees and ankles are not stressed. In case of user having back issue, recumbent bike will fit perfectly as it comes with back support.
- Work output – If the user finds difficulty in running on treadmill for 10 minutes and can ride for 20 minutes or more, then the user will burn more calories per session.
- Boredom – High end exercise bikes comes with big TV console in which you can watch your favorite movies or shows while working out. You can also connect your gadget to the console through in built blue-tooth feature and listen to your favorite music while burning the calories.
- Non versatility - Unlike in treadmills which have speed and incline variation, exercise bike lacks this feature. The only variation one can do is the change in resistance levels.
- Workout effectiveness- Riding on exercise bike only focusses on your leg muscles and not the rest of the body. Some people get bored on exercise bike because they are not using any other part except their legs.
- Handle bars- Reaching out to handle bars while riding may stress your back.
Calorie burn comparison
Various studies and researches have shown that on an average calories burn count while running on a treadmill for an hour is around 705 to 886. On an average calories burn count on an exercise for an hour is approx. 550. Based on these studies treadmill has an advantage over the exercise bike.
Both treadmill and exercise bike will be good for weight loss, the thing is you need to consistent and enjoy your workout. Ultimate goal should be to weight loss which both equipment will help you in. For training purpose walking or jogging will burn more calories and will cover more muscles as compared to exercise which covers only leg muscle. Exercise bike are generally cheaper as compared to treadmill and are easy to store. If your aim is just to get that taunting fat from your body then you can go for any equipment as far as you enjoy your workout.
Once you have decided which equipment to go for, next step would be to choose the right brand. I would suggest you to for REACH brand as I have personally experienced REACH products and their service. I had bought REACH T-700 motorized treadmill as it was in sync with my fitness goals and budget. Another deciding factor was the warranty period. Other good thing of REACH was the delivery and installation process which was very smooth. The service person were well experienced and certified. You can visit www.reach2fitness.com to know more about REACH fitness equipment.
Your Inbox Deserves Better